Google
Currently generating a new wish list, since all my wishes were granted over the Holidays.

Friday, March 31, 2006

The Friday Rant "Steroids ERA???"

First, a couple of announcements. I would like to apologize for the infrequent in posting, if anyone reads this. Work has been getting in the way, as well as the fact that I was planning something big. I had been planning a surprise proposal to my girlfriend this past Saturday, and I executed it flawlessly, so I am now engaged, boy that looks weird.

The main purpose of this post is to defend a great baseball player by the name of Barry Bonds. MLB announced an external investigation into steroid use in baseball. I don't mind the investigation what I do mind is the public lynching of Barry Bonds. Especially since he has never tested positive, unlike other players. We do live in America where you are innocent until proven guilty, and until I see a positive test or a public admission of guilt by Mr. Bonds I will not hop on the "Trash Barry Bonds Train". The thing that amazes me about this whole ordeal is how willing people are to believe what is being written in a book as if it were fact. Especially certain people in the liberal blogosphere who I would expect to question the general consensus and be a bit more skeptical. I guess it's okay to take every word that comes out of Michelle Malkin's books or Ann Coulter's books as fact.

One theory I have about the whole gangup on Barry Bonds is the fact that he is an easy target. He is not as likeable as a Mark Mcgwire or even a Sammy Sosa in his happier days. I believe some people in the press do not appreciate the way he treats the press and that is alright if they hold a grudge, but it's not alright if they tarnish a man's playing credentials as a result of speculation and conjecture.

As to the "steroids era". Before we start putting an asterisk next to the entire era, I think it is necessary to actually examine, what effect steroids really have on a ballplayer. It sure didn't turn Ryan Franklin or Alex Sanchez into hall of famers. No one can say definitively that it actually gave anyone an advantage, it actually could have caused more problems for players, take Jason Giambi and the "parasite" problem he had. It is disconcerting, that the sports media is so willing to tarnish an entire era without knowing what impact "steroids" had on the game. If they asterisk this era, we need to put an asterisk next to Hank Aaron's name because he played during the amphetamine era, and who knows what was going on during Ruth's era?

Comments on "The Friday Rant "Steroids ERA???""

 

Blogger Will said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I never once said not to take the drug use seriously. My problem is the public lynching Bonds and others have taken, without a positive test for steroids.

I also have a problem with people who blame their children's problems on lack of role models or what their role models are doing. If you are a parent you need to explain the issues to your child and gain the trust of your child and not depend on what some baseball player is or isn't doing to stop them from abusing steroids.

 

post a comment