Google
Currently generating a new wish list, since all my wishes were granted over the Holidays.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Brokeback Mountain Review

Saw Brokeback Mountain this past weekend with my girlfriend. I have to say it was a great movie, the acting was great especially Heath Ledger and the story flowed very well. I would have to say it was the best overall movie I have seen this year.

One aspect of the movie I liked was that there was not too much dialogue and a lot of the emotional interaction between the characters of the story was non-verbal, especially with Heath Ledger's character. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack, the music did a very good job of setting the mood. Well that's my review.

Here is a review from Focus on the Family's reviewer.

The part that I found most interesting:

"When two people love each other, they love each other. And people should hold on to it as hard as they can, whether it's homosexual or heterosexual," star Jake Gyllenhaal told reporters at the Toronto Film Festival. He's partly right. But if he's talking about the kind of love shared onscreen by Jack and Ennis, he's conflating the meanings of the words love and lust. The Bible doesn't isolate "love" to male-female relationships. It calls men to love other men, and women to love other women. (Look at the connection David had with Jonathan in 1 Samuel 19-20 and the bond Jesus had with John in John 13 for a biblical reference point. Also relevant are 1 Peter 1, 1 John 2 and John 15.) What it condemns is turning brotherly or sisterly love into sexual love—a form of love God reserves for a man and woman who have embraced the gentle bonds of marriage. That sexualization of love—and our growing cultural acceptance of it—is gradually making valid, chaste love between two men or two women harder and harder to accomplish. (Read 1 Corinthians 6, Romans 1, John 1, 2 Peter 2-3 and Leviticus 18-20.)


Since I am Jewish I had no clue what passages he was talking about, so I found out that I could read the bible online. Here is 1 Corinthians 6. I am a decent student of the English language and I didn't see anything about god condemning Man on Man or Woman on Woman chaste love.

Here is Romans 1, and although there is a vague reference to lust, it still doesn't condemn Homosexuality.

Nothing in John 1. Too lazy to read anymore, because I am pretty sure by now it is all the same.

I guess these nutballs in the Discriminate Against Homosexuals Community Through the Cover of Religion Club or DAHCTCRC as I like to call them, have to twist the bible's words in order to support their cause. That's what I figured from the beginning, but I just wanted to make sure for myself so I read a little bit of the bible. These people who preach intolerance in the name of the Bible are the real sinners and hopefully one day they will be judged accordingly.

Comments on "Brokeback Mountain Review"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

hey guys. I have absolutly nothing against homosexuals. I believe if that is how they feel then nobody has the right to tell them otherwise. However im going to have to crash the party and tell you all that the bible actually does condemn the love between two individuals of the same sex.... This is why gay marriages have been illegal for so long, as in the house/presence of the Lord it is religiously and ethically wrong to wed two ppl of the same sex when the bible explicitly states against it. Not because people need a story to cling to. I am a baptised catholic and from my view point it is going to take a long time for the greater society to be alright with public displays of homosexuality, and this is why there is so much backlash towards Brokeback mountain... in the western world, not so much the feeling of two men loving each other, rather the public display of this love. In a very abstract way, fundamentalist roman catholics could compare the situation to the U.S and their gun laws... In the way that there has been much talk surrounding the issues, but when it comes down to the crunch if the guns were to be taken out of the bill of rights it would open up the opportunity for say freedom of religion to be taken away many years down the track if some "holy war" broke out. In the same way allowing gay marriages to be allowed is breaking down a wall that has existed for some 2000 years. Just my opinion. Dont think im a homophobe, im just being the devils advocate. Peace

 

post a comment